4G LTE FAQs
1) Are 4G LTE devices available for purchase in all U.S. Cellular® markets, or only in those areas that have 4G LTE coverage?
Our 4G LTE devices are available for purchase in all U.S. Cellular markets. U.S. Cellular is aggressively expanding 4G LTE coverage, so you may want to consider a 4G LTE device even if you are not currently in a 4G LTE coverage area. Also, if you travel to other U.S. Cellular areas with 4G LTE coverage, your device will be able to take advantage of the 4G LTE network.
2) Does 4G LTE data cost more than 3G data?
No. U.S. Cellular customers can select from the same data plan options with a 3G or 4G LTE device.
3) Can all U.S. Cellular devices access the 4G LTE network?
No. 4G LTE devices are needed to experience the 4G LTE network. These devices will also be able to access the 1x and 3G networks. Current 3G phones will continue to have access to our award-winning 3G network and they cannot be upgraded to access the 4G LTE network. U.S. Cellular 4G LTE Phones.
4) Can I share my 4G LTE data speed with other non-4G devices?
Yes. If you have a U.S. Cellular 4G LTE device and a data plan that includes tethering service, you can turn your 4G LTE device into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot, allowing up to 5 other devices to connect to the 4G LTE network.
5) What will my 4G LTE experience be when I'm traveling within the U.S.?
If/when you leave a U.S. Cellular 4G LTE coverage area, voice services will continue as usual without interruption. Data services will continue to work, but will change to 3G service. Depending on how you are using data at that time, you may experience a delay when moving to 3G, or you may not even notice. If you move into another U.S. Cellular 4G LTE coverage area, you will convert back to 4G LTE data service.
6) Can I take my SIM card out of my 4G LTE device and use it in another device?
No. The SIM card must remain in the same device that it was shipped with at all times.
7) Do the bars displayed on my device indicate the strength of my 4G LTE signal?
No. The number of bars indicate CDMA (voice) signal strength, not data signal strength.
8) How can 4G LTE help my business?
The high speeds of the new 4G LTE network will provide an incredibly fast and organized mobile office for your business. Operate more efficiently by taking advantage of faster connections and downloads in seconds. Learn more about Small Business plans from U.S. Cellular.
9) How can I learn more about new offerings from U.S. Cellular?
U.S. Cellular is committed to providing our customers with the best product and service offerings. To receive e-mail notifications from U.S. Cellular with the latest information, click here.