GOT FAST FINGERS? SPEED TEXTERS CAN WIN $10,000 ON U.S. CELLULAR'S MOBILE TOUR AT LA CROSSE LOGGERS GAME ON FRIDAY
LACROSSE, Wis., July 8, 2009 – When you grab your cell phone, do you place a call or send a text? The average American sends 357 text messages per month, but only makes 204 phone calls, according to a recent survey by Nielsen. By 2010, an estimated 2.3 trillion text messages will be sent to and from mobile phones, according to a Gartner survey.
If you think your fingers are fast enough to keep up with this text message craze, U.S. Cellular has created a mobile tour experience that will put your skills to the test at events throughout the Midwest. The fastest fingers in the speed text challenge will win $10,000.
Throughout the summer customers will be able to show off their knowledge and skills by participating in a series of challenges and fun activities. The mobile tour will appear from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, July 10, at the La Crosse Loggers game sponsored by U.S. Cellular.
The mobile tour features three interactive stations:
- A speed text challenge that offers the $10,000 grand prize. Participants compete individually or head-to-head using a touchscreen and full QWERTY handset to determine the fastest texter.
- A photo activity where customers can have their picture taken using a U.S. Cellular handset. Customers can use a touchscreen kiosk to add a fun background and cool effects.
- A charging station where customers can charge their cell phone battery.
Fans will also be able to demonstrate their texting ability from their seats. A phrase will appear on the scoreboard message center, and fans can text the phrase to the short code provided. The fan who texts the phrase the fastest – with correct spelling and grammar – will win four Party Deck vouchers to an upcoming game. These vouchers can be used at any regular season home game and include all-you-can-eat food and beverages.
The winner will be announced over the public address system and awarded the vouchers on the field.
- People attending the game will also enjoy a fireworks extravaganza sponsored by U.S. Cellular after the game, enhanced by Razzle Dazzle glasses that will let fans see the fireworks in 3D.
- Cellby, the U.S. Cellular mascot, will be throwing out the first pitch at the game.
- Fans can receive Loggers text alerts on their mobile phones by texting "Loggers" to 99693. The alerts arrive once the games end.
Additional speed texting opportunities:
Speed texting will also be available at two retail locations from noon to 7 p.m. Thursday, July 9. The locations are the U.S. Cellular store at 224 Crosswoods Center, Onalaska, and at Prestige, 2426 State Road in La Crosse.
About U.S. Cellular
The 9,000 associates of U.S. Cellular believe a wireless phone enhances people's lives and a wireless company should be in the business of bringing people together. U.S. Cellular has a wide range of monthly plans, including those with unlimited nationwide calling, unlimited free incoming calls and options to prepay. The company has a growing catalog of phones like the BlackBerry® Curve, HTC Touch Pro and the touch-screen Samsung Delve, which offer e-mail and Web access. Based in Chicago, U.S. Cellular is the nation's fifth-largest full-service wireless carrier, serving 6.2 million customers across the country. To learn more about the company visit one of its retail stores or uscellular.com.